Type your question here!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lemon Tree Has One Major Problem in the Mojave Desert


Q. I have read your blog extensively.  I really like that you have stuff on there month to month so I know what to watch out for. Inspired by you, I have planted a tree from your recommended tree list and another that I don't think is in there, a Meyer lemon. I planted a lemon after seeing other people in the valley having success with it. I would like to know what precautions I should take growing a lemon tree here.

Sweet orange died back and the rootstock, sour orange,
took over. The indicator is no trunk left and sour fruit.
A. I have not included citrus on my list because it is too cold at the Orchard in North Las Vegas to grow citrus. However, there are numerous microclimates in backyards that will support citrus in the Las Vegas Valley. It is not a crop to be grown commercially here but you certainly can grow a few here and there including some of the more tender types of citrus.

            We have very few citrus problems here. The biggest problem is winter cold and freezing or dieback. Fertilize citrus just as you would any of the other fruit trees. Allow lemon fruits to mature into late November and December and then pick them. You should be getting the fruit off of the tree no later than early January as this may interrupt production for the coming year if you don't.

1 comment:

  1. i need someone who is very knowledgeable about pruning a lemon tree, it is huge and we don't want to ruin it, please if someone in las vegas has any knowledge about pruning let me know. I would appreciate an answer. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete