Type your question here!

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Something's Eating My Basil and It's Not Me!

Q. Sir ,this picture shows my  chewed "genovese " basil ,if you enlarge the picture you will see small insects resembling those who ate the leaves of the vine .
What can I do without poisoning my basil?
Thanks for your answer.
Luciano's Genovese basil with damage
Regards ,Luciano

A. I enlarged the picture gradually up to 800% but still could not make it out. The feeding looks more like a larger pest such as root weevils or caterpillar (larvae of moth) to me. Smaller insects would be more likely holes throughout the leaf rather than on the edges of the leaves.  Soap and water sprays have to come in contact with the insect.

            Organic types like Bt (Dipel or Thuricide) or Spinosad will focus a lot on the caterpillar types and give you some overnight protection if done at dusk and would be a good first effort. Follow label directions. If this does not work then I would move toward one of the pyrethrum or pyrethroid products with vegetables or herbs on the label. Check the ingredients for these products.
            Sevin might also work but apply only at dusk since it is lethal to bees which will be visiting basil a lot unless you keep the flowers clipped off. Spinosad also is tough on bees so use it only at dusk.

No comments:

Post a Comment