Type your question here!

Monday, May 13, 2013

African Sumac Limbs Splitting


Q. Could you please give me some clue as to why my 10 year old African Sumac tree has started to get split limbs. They are splitting laterally along the length of the branch. I have had to cut off two branches in the last week because of this splitting.


A. This is the first I have heard of this problem with African sumac. Who is making the decision to remove the limbs and what is the reasoning behind it? I would be curious because there are unscrupulous maintenance people who will point out something to a homeowner and recommend a job to make money. Also, there are uneducated maintenance people who will point out something to a homeowner and recommend a job to make money.

            Sometimes natural furrowing of the bark can be mistaken for cracking. I have had several homeowners get concerned and send pictures and that is all it is. I have had African sumacs split due to snow loads on the branches but that is reasonable.

            Most reasons for cracking would be excessive weight on the limbs. Are you sure there are no children doing pull-ups on some limbs?

            This is a stretch but if the tree were growing very rapidly and pruned incorrectly I could possibly see that limb cracking might occur. Without a bit more information that is about all I can tell you with the information you gave me.

Has anyone else seen this? I would love to get some pictures so I can see the problem.


Pine tree limb splitting due to lack of taper along the limb. The weight of the branch on the end was too much for it
after a light snow. The tree was thinned to allow for less resistance to wind to lessen blow over. Improper pruning caused
the limb to not develop good taper resulting in splitting.


No comments:

Post a Comment