Type your question here!

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Bamboo Damaged Just After Winter

Q. Do you have any advice on what I can do to green up these bamboo planted in rock mulch? Give them iron perhaps?
Bamboo from reader just after winter cold.
A. I hesitated a bit because I was not sure which bamboo this was so I am guessing it is golden bamboo, a runner. The new leaves will come in this spring and cover most of the damaged ones. Otherwise you are left to removing the leaves by hand if it is unsightly.

Come back? Fertilizer and water.

An option is to cut them back and let them regrow with new shoots. The running bamboo grows from rhizomes or runners underground. Clumping bamboo grow like an iris and the clump just keeps getting larger.

These can handle pruning but I would not top them. I would selectively cut out stems at the ground level where you don't want them. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment