Type your question here!

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Worms in Palo Verde

Q. This is  a picture of the worms we find on our PaloVerde tree in the back yard.  We would like to get rid of them but do not know how.  Is there something besides spraying the whole tree which is huge, a systemic maybe,  that would do the trick and not kill the tree. They make a mess of the sidewalk and other stuff under the tree.  Any help would be appreciated.

A. These critters have been reported elsewhere in the desert Southwest. Must be because of our wet spring weather. They should disappear in a matter of a week or two or less. It is a larva or caterpillar of a moth. I am not sure which one.

Some caterpillars fold or roll leaves together with silk to form shelters. Others feed on leaves beneath a canopy of silk, sometimes creating "nests" in foliage, and others devour entire leaves along with stems. Your tree can get a lot of damage from these critters and still be fine. If there is enough of them you should see a lot of their poop on the ground because they eat a lot, voraciously, before they pupate and begin the change into a moth.

You can spray with an organic pesticide such as BT or Spinosad but as far along as they are I think it's a waste of money. Even if they defoliate the tree it will relief again and come back out. Relax and have a glass of lemonade but don't put your lemonade under the tree.



11 comments:

  1. Hi, I have been having the same problem but it started by me (socal) in mid july and has continued through today. I had one palo verde tree completely defoliated and Im hoping the leaves grow back. I used a systemic drench and a triple action spray which helped kill many of the catepillars but I continue to see more each evening (not as many as before). I am going to do another drench and spray again soon. Any information you have would be most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you say what product you used. I want to do the same thing but don't know what to purchase. Thank you

      Delete
    2. Bonides Annual Tree and Shrub Insect Control. Apply after flowering.

      Delete
  2. The lizards and birds seem to love them ! Yum !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the systemic / spray out of panic and advice from my landscaper and now I’m going to be killing bees & my hummingbirds for a year!!! 😪😪😪😪😪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time make the application after it finishes flowering.

      Delete
    2. Apply as a soil drench around trees, not as a spray. Apply after it finishes flowering.

      Delete
  4. Just let the caterpillars live. They only bother you for about a month, then they're gone for the rest of the year. If you poison your tree, you poison e everything else with it. Your leaves will grow back quickly. Palo verde trees are resilient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lot of little wasps around the tree and I think they eat the little worms. I also have little birds hanging out around the trees and I think they to enjoy the worms. Last year they completely ate all the leaves off of both of my trees before I noticed. The trees grew back fine and this your only one of the trees was hit hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I put collars of honey around my main tree branches tonight and they can’t cross it, too sticky. Let’s see if this works?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use two-sided tape made to keep cats from scratching furniture. Last year my trees had no leaves when I tried it and they will not cross it. Trees were back to normal in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete