Type your question here!

Friday, September 21, 2018

Tipu Growing in Las Veqas

Q. I have been wanting to plant a tipuana tree since I saw one in person (those pinnate leaves are gorgeous!) and I love the idea of a wide canopy.  You mentioned in a December 2013 blog that here the potential for damage from the roots would not be as concerning in Las Vegas as in other places as long as it was planted “several feet away from foundations, etc.” The location where I would like to plant is between the pool and the block wall.  The wall and the pool are separated by 19 feet.  Would planting 4 feet from the wall and 15 feet from the pool be reasonably safe? I have citrus, duranta repens, and some other cold sensitive plants that I dress in old school Christmas lights and wrap in frost cloth, so I understand it will take extra work to protect from the cold.  What do you think of my chances for success?

A. Just to be a little more clear than the section you read in my article. I am not a big fan of this tree but it has been pushed for planting in the Las Vegas area by a local nursery. You should read some of the comments from Arizona State University (Mesa, AZ) about its use in Phoenix.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~camartin/plants/Plant%20html%20files/tipuanatipu.html

If you plant this tree please be prepared that:
  • It may freeze back during some of our winters in Las Vegas when winter temperatures get below 25F. In the past our winter temperatures have dipped regularly into the upper teens.
  • It is not low water use. Expect that this tree will use more water than desert adapted trees of a similar size. So plan on using it in a part of your landscape that is wetter and not surrounded by rock mulch typical to desert landscapes.

Tipu dieback

This is a big tree. It can get to heights probably 35 to 50 feet tall in the desert. It routinely grows higher than this in nondesert landscapes.

/tipu canopy

So if you are fine with all this then I would not plant it closer than about 10 or 12 feet from a house foundation, patio, driveway, wall or sidewalk. When you plant it, focus the applied water in areas away from these areas. Try to leave at least three feet of dry soil between the tree and these locations. Nine times out of ten you will be fine closer than this but it is the 1 in 10 that concerns me. It should not be used in a hot part of the yard with lots of reflected heat and light.
Sapsucker damage on tipu

I have seen this tree in backyards that are protected from wind and with plenty of plants around it. I have seen them up to 20+ feet tall and looking pretty good but these are protected backyards.
Tipu growing in backyard


These are relatively new trees for Las Vegas so there is not much history on them. But I am always concerned when planting any long term tree that is freeze damaged at 25F in a climate that historically gets lower temperatures than this. I have a saying that I tell my students…be prepared to spend more time, energy and money on plants that may not be sustainable in our desert climate. I like to see trees that are key elements to a landscape that will survive winter temperatures at least to 20F.

No comments:

Post a Comment