Type your question here!

Monday, February 10, 2014

Remove Suckers Coming From Rootstock on Loquat

Not sure if I should remove growth below the graft from a Loquat tree.
Q. I have a loquat tree that is a few years old. I let it grow without any pruning so far. I did notice one of the branches growing from beneath what appears to be a graft union. Normally I remove any growth from below the graft as I do on my other fruit trees.  That particular branch has new growth just starting.  I was hoping this branch would give me the balance I needed since it was growing outward where there is an open space. Not sure if I should cut growth below the graft from a Loquat tree.
Sucker coming from rootstock on loquat. You can see the bud union above it.

A. From the picture you sent to me I can see this sucker is coming from the rootstock. Loquat is normally grafted on to a rootstock that is either not a loquat or the rootstock plant is inferior in fruit quality to the one you purchased.
Very healthy young loquat
            This sucker must be removed. Even if you could keep it, how it is attached to the trunk is weak and will split from the tree when the limb gets heavier from fruit or size.
Fruit of loquat

            Loquats do nicely here and have some great fruit. Try to keep it out of late afternoon sun and don’t prune it too much so that the canopy is open. It will sunburn and you will have borers in the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment