Type your question here!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Figs Grow Great in the Mojave Desert

Q. A friend of a friend has two fig trees that produce just the best figs I have ever tasted. So I am planning on taking cuttings and eventually planting them in my big back yard with full southern exposure. However we do not know what variety they are, so is there an easy way of identifying them and knowing whether they are self-pollinating, i.e. whether I need to plant two of these trees?


A. All of the figs I have tested here in our climate do well with very few problems. It is just a matter of your preference in taste. Normally, the darker colored figs such as black mission or brown Turkey have a stronger flavor. The yellow or white figs are milder in flavor. The biggest mistake when growing figs here in our climate is not watering them with enough water during each irrigation. They are oasis plants, not desert plants.
One of our "white" figs, perhaps 'Desert King'

Nearly all figs are self-fertile so there’s no need to have more than one. There are so many different varieties of figs it would be very difficult to identify which fig it might be. However, if you send me a picture of the fresh fruit so that I can see outside fruit color and color inside the fruit (cut open) I might be able to narrow it down for you.

Also, let me know if it was purchased through a local nursery since they typically carry the more common varieties. This also helps narrow it down. Follow my blog and I will give you some step by step instructions on how to propagate figs and grapes as well in the near future.

3 comments:

  1. what is the name of the fig tree that produces the biggest fig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TEXAS GIANT BLUE FIG , EVERY THING IN TEXAS IS BIG !!!

      Delete
  2. You can get some pretty big figs from Black Mission, Kadota, Black Jack but the Texas Blue Giant is supposed to have some big fruit but I have never grown it here.

    ReplyDelete