Type your question here!

Monday, January 9, 2012

When Should I Cut My Grape Vines Back?


Q. When should I cut my grape vines back?  They're on a trellis, and are 1 year old.  During the summer they spread out very well, and produced several large groups of table grapes.

A. I would wait until late February or early March to prune them. We still have some potentially difficult times to go through this winter for grapes. Cutting them early may result in a loss of bud wood and fruit production.
            When pruning you will cut back this past years growth (it will be a different color) so that only one or two buds remain. I prefer two. Also I usually prune it back so that ten or twelve buds remain if I do it early. Then just before bud swelling in the spring (like about early March) I cut then spurs back to two buds. This way if there is dieback during the winter I won't lose the fruit producing spur.

4 comments:

  1. When is the best time to prune lemon trees,thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right after you pick the fruit. Harvest should be no later than early January.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is it too late to prune my lemon tree,it is still full of lemons,it was a dwarf but now it is taking over my back yard. It really needs pruning, but don't want it to die. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will not die. Go ahead and prune. Now is a great time to do it if you want it done. Harvest the lemons. They should be coming off now anyway.

    ReplyDelete