Type your question here!

Monday, April 9, 2012

Tumors on Cherry Trees and Bioengineering


Q. I have a problem on some fruit trees on a property I have in Tonopah. These cherry trees have large swellings like tumors on the trunk. I spoke with some nursery people in California and described the problem and they knew what the problem was immediately. 

            She concurred with me to get rid of the tree and the nearby rose bush because the rose bush carried the disease and transferred it to both of the fruit trees.  The cherry I chopped down as it was dead all the way through. She told me the whole and area around it would be bacteria infested for a while and even if I put in the soil the product she gave me to kill algae and bacteria, it might still come back.

A. The only thing I can think of that comes close to your description is a relatively benign disease called crown gall. And this is probably what your cherry tree has. This bacterium does infest the soil. It is not typically transferred from plant to plant so getting rid of the roses is not necessary.  A healthy tree can become infested if contaminated soil comes in contact with a fresh wound of the plant.

            Actually this is a very interesting plant disease and was used in the early pioneering days of genetic engineering. When plant tissue is infected with this bacterium the plant cells multiply uncontrollably producing a large woody or corky “tumor’ or swelling on the trunk or roots. The reason it is called “crown” gall is the typical site which the gall or tumor is seen.

            The crown of a plant is the general location where the trunk meets the soil. However these “tumors” can appear less commonly on roots and stems as well. I will try to post more about this disease and how it is used in genetic engineering on my blog.

            Plants can live for many years with crown gall and appear to be quite healthy. It is possible I guess to transmit it from plant to plant by cutting into the crown gall and then cutting another plant with the same unsanitized tool but otherwise you will not transmit it. The usual method whereby it infests a plant is from contact of infested soil with a fresh wound, usually at the time of planting.

Images of Crown Gall

No comments:

Post a Comment