Type your question here!

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Mushrooms or Space Alien Eggs?


Birdseye view of mushroom in the soil and opening
Q. Not sure if these are mushrooms or what they are. Was wondering if you could identify them. I have a small dog who will eat anything and I’m concerned they could harm her. They were found around several trees I hand planted. Just on the outer edge of the hole I planted them in.



A. The mushrooms are a type of fleshy puffball mushroom (inedible and perhaps poisonous) that grow underground off of rotting wood or even rotting woody roots and then open above ground to release their spores. They can spread but only if they have something to feed on underground such as rotting wood or roots.

I have received other pictures of the same type from other readers.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment