Type your question here!

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pictures are Classic Rabbit Damage to Vegetables



Q. Would you help me solve what varmint has gobbled down the vegetables in my two raised vegetable gardens? I have a fence and bird net around each but the culprits keep getting in. Thought you maybe could figure it out from the way the vegetables are chewed. 








A. That sure looks like rabbit damage to me from the pictures you sent to me. I will post them on my blog so all can see them.
            They are very good at lifting fencing with their noses and pushing it up and getting in and out. Rabbit fencing has to be tacked down to the ground tightly or buried for good control.
            My experience with plastic fencing and rabbits is that they chew right through it. This is after I contacted the manufacturer years ago on plastic fencing and he reassured me that it would keep rabbits out. Wrong! They just chewed straight through it.
            Also, if there is any gap in the fencing AT ALL, they will squeeze or push their way through particularly if they are hungry or your veggies are appetizing which yours is perfect rabbit food.
            If you have not done this I would strongly suggest chicken wire surrounding the growing area. This is metal chicken wire with 1 inch hexagonal openings. You will also find that baby rabbits will be able to go through this 1 inch opening the first couple of months after they are born. After that, they are too big.
            The fencing MUST be buried a couple inches deep all around the perimeter. The fencing must have NO openings at all. If they are overlapped, overlap them about a foot and join them together with wires so they cannot be pushed open.
            The fencing needs to be at least two feet high and supported with metal stakes so that it cannot be bent to the ground. I usually use a top wire that goes from stake to stake to support the top of the fencing and keep it upright.
            I hope this helps but this is pretty classic rabbit damage. They will be there early in the morning and disappear just after sunup.

No comments:

Post a Comment