Type your question here!

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Should I Remove Immature Fruit From My Orange Tree?

Q. I have an orange tree I planted nine years ago.  It is about 4 feet high and only produced about 2 oranges a year.  Last winter it did have some freeze damage. I trimmed and fertilized it with iron and nitrogen and watered it once a week with a hose instead of the drip system. It is looking real good and has about 40 pea sized oranges on it.  Should I cull some of them as I don't think the tree can handle that many?
A. Normally citrus fruit is not thinned. I wouldn’t take any off. At nine years of age it should be able to handle a lot of fruit. If you think the tree is abnormally small and can’t handle the fruit then remove some but at nine years of age you should not need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment