Type your question here!

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Remove Sago Palm Brown Fronds or Not?


Q. I'm sending pictures of the Sago palm I transplanted. The top ring of fronds died after I transplanted it but remain on the plant. I left this brown ring of fronds around the crown of the plant and it looks like new growth coming from the center is okay. Should I trim off the dead fronds without disturbing the crown or just let them fall off?
Leaves yellowing and turning brown on Sago palm after transplanting
Healthy central Bud of Sago balm that will push new green fronds when it starts growing. The older fronds can be clipped off or left on. It's up to you.

A. That’s an aesthetic decision more than a plant health decision. I can't think of a reason why removal of dead fronds would affect the plant one way or another. Someone might claim possible “disease” problems that might emerge, but I don’t know of any.
            Another option is to "paint" the fronds a green color with one of the green plant paints or dyes used for lawns and make the dead brown fronds appear green and look alive or just remove them. There are several paints or dyes available on the market. Your call on that.
            Personally, I would cut them off and let the growth from the center take over as it emerges the spring and in following years. Remove the dead fronds to within about half inch or less of that center crown. The brown, dead fronds will probably stay there for several years or until they’re removed. But that's my call on your situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment