Type your question here!

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Delay Heavy Pruning of Fruit Trees Until Winter

Q. My new trees (apple, plum, peach) were planted a month ago and appear healthy. I watched several YouTube videos and am nervously ready to trim these trees. Being nearly May and heat coming on, should I wait until next year or just do it now?  
Delay major pruning of any tree to the winter months. It is safer for the tree, it reduces sun damage, the form of the tree (if its deciduous) is easier to see.

A. I usually prune right after planting in January or February. My rule of thumb is 90% of my pruning is directed towards improving the structure of the tree and only 10% is concerned with production; the second year focuses 50% of my pruning efforts on the structure and 50 % toward  production and by the third year only about 10% focuses on the trees structure and 90%  on production.

Tree Architecture is Easier to See

            Each year the trees structure is evaluated but most pruning focuses on entering production no later than the third year of growth in the ground. Some older varieties may take longer than that. Do I keep a few fruit to savor earlier than this? Of course! But only a few. I’m encouraging as much good growth as possible and getting rid of unnecessary growth as early as possible.

Always Carry Your Hand Shears

            I always carry a sanitized and sharpened hand pruner on my walks through the Orchard any time of year. I never know when I’ll see something that needs my attention. Better to remove small amounts of unnecessary growth early in the season than wait until December or January and remove a large limb.
This is a locust tree that had too much pruning. The bark of this tree burned in the strong Mojave Desert sunlight. Be careful when you remove limbs from trees growing in the desert. Removing too much or removing at the wrong time of year can result is sunburn of the trunk and limbs of trees.
            Light pruning can be done now or anytime but in the Mojave Desert be careful of removing too much which can contribute to sunburn of the limbs and fruit. Since we are in late spring, wait until December or January to do any major pruning. You can  lightly prune fruit trees all year long if they need it but don’t remove too much. Summer pruning is done about now to older trees to keep them smaller but that’s for the experienced fruit tree grower.

No comments:

Post a Comment