Type your question here!

Monday, April 12, 2021

Repotting Citrus Trees in Containers

Q. I saw your article in the Las Vegas Review Journal newspaper about renewing soil in a container every few years. I have a dwarf Meyer lemon tree in a large container that's about three years old. It's doing well and I got about a dozen lemons last year. When should I replant the tree?  I suspect winter.  Is that correct?


Citrus can be replanted into larger containers when it gets bigger but the soils should be "renewed" or at least partially replaced every three to five years.

A. It is hard to say when to replant but I should think somewhere between three and five years. Exactly when, I don’t know. It depends on the condition of the soil that was used at planting time and the growth of the tree. 

How to Repot a Citrus

Poor soils should be replaced sooner. Trees with lots of new healthy growth will need soil replacement sooner. Adding fertilizers, only, to the container soil will not improve the soil. Just like in Dust Bowl days it will “wear out” the soil. When the tree shows signs of poor growth or poor color is a good sign that the soil should have been replaced prior to this happening.

Time of year to replant container trees? Right after harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment