Type your question here!

Thursday, December 2, 2021

Is Hopseed Bush Poisonous?

Q I’ve seen mixed comments regarding purple hopseed bushes being toxic to animals. Do you happen to know if they are or not? Any help would be appreciated!

A. Keep in mind that about 60 to 70% of all landscape plants are poisonous in one way or another. Toxicity depends on the dose given. I have never considered hopseed a poisonous plant. I checked with another source of information that I consider reliable, and he does not recognize it as poisonous which agrees with my original assessment.

Because this source does not consider this plant toxic and the fact that it was previously used by indigenous peoples as a health remedy, I don’t consider it a “poisonous” landscape plant if eaten in moderation. Not as toxic as oleander, tree tobacco, or yellow oleander for instance which have been grown here by backyard gardeners.

No comments:

Post a Comment