Type your question here!

Thursday, October 24, 2019

How to Block Light from Your Neighbors

Q. I need to block out my neighbor’s intense landscape lighting that pierces my screen of photinia and comes into my yard. I plan to attach Mexican palm thatch to the iron fencing behind the photinia. That extra layer will block my neighbors landscape "headlights". Should I spray the palm thatch with any insecticide first in the event there are bugs that could invade the photinia?

A. It sounds like an inexpensive way to enhance the enjoyment of your backyard at night. Those fronds should last about 2 years before they need replacement. They will last longer with fewer holes created in the fronds when attaching them to the fence. Some box stores offer reed fencing that might save you some work, last longer and is ready for attachment.
            I know of no bugs that would be a problem spreading to your photinia from the fronds so no need to spray. I also don’t foresee any future problems using palm fronds except a potential fire problem if they were to ever catch fire. An inexpensive fire retardant is to spray them with a solution of ammonium sulfate dissolved in water.

No comments:

Post a Comment