Type your question here!

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Other Dwarf Peach Besides Bonanza


Q. I suddenly lost my favorite dwarf peach tree, Bonanza, over a year ago and I want to replace it. The local nursery said today they probably won't be carrying Bonanza peach anymore. Could you please advise me where I could purchase one as I don't know where to look?
Genetic dwarf peach trees can produce normal sized fruit.

A. I just checked online, and Bonanza genetic dwarf or miniature peach tree is available from many nurseries. Check around and see if your nursery will order it for you. If not, you can order it online in November or December from nurseries such as Bay Laurel, Grow Organic, Willis Orchards and others. They well send it to you bareroot and in good condition for immediate planting in January.
Three genetic dwarf peach trees, Eldorado, planted together. In the back is a "high bud" graft of Eldorado and the two in the front were "low bud" Eldorado peach. Genetic dwarf peach can be grafted high or low on the rootstock to give trees of different heights.

           
I think you will like the fruit from any of the other genetic dwarf peach trees besides Bonanza if you find it locally. When I have tested many of the fruit coming from these genetic dwarf trees it has been good. These include Bonanza II, Garden Gold, Garden Sun, Honey Babe, Pix Zee. Eldorado and many others. Oftentimes retail nurseries don’t know what will become available later in the year so keep checking.

No comments:

Post a Comment